Friends of Duns Primary School (FDPS)
(FDPS) are a group of parents, carers, teachers and school staff who give up a little time to help the school. Coming along to meetings is a great way to meet other parents and carers, and to hear about what is happening at the school. They hold regular fund raising events, and all proceeds are used to provide better facilities and educational experiences for our children.
They are always looking for fresh faces and ideas, so please come along to our meetings which are held every term. You can offer to become a Member of the Committee, or more informally support FDPS by helping at events.
We are always looking for new ways to communicate with parents – please send us your good ideas!
Our role as the Friends of Duns Primary School is to:
- Act as a voice for all the families of Duns Primary School
- Work in partnership with the school and community to give our children the best possible education.
- Organise social and fundraising events.
By law schools have a duty to promote parents’ involvement in children’s education. We are very keen that parents feel able to be involved in their child’s education and learning that they are active participants in the life of the school and they feel able to express their views on school education generally.
Every parent who has a child at our school is a welcome member of FDPS.
Each parent can expect to:-
- Receive information about the school and its activities
- Hear about what partnership with parent’s means in our school
- Be invited to be involved in ways and times that suit you
- Identify issues you want FDPS to work on with the school
- Be asked your opinion by the FDPS on issues relating to the school and education it provides
- Work in partnership with staff
- Enjoy taking part in school life in whatever way possible
The type of things the parent council may get involved in include:
- Supporting the work of the school
- Gathering and representing parents’ views to the Headteacher, Scottish Borders Council and Education Scotland
- Promoting contact between the school, parents, pupils and the local community
- Fundraising and organising events
- Reporting to the parent forum
- Being involved in the appointment of senior promoted staff.
Chair Fiona Lawson
Secretary Wanda Jane Field
Treasurer Emma Lindsay
Asst. Treasurer Victoria Tait
Headteacher Leanne Stewart
DHT Rachel Foy
DHT Ross Maunder
PT Melanie Knox
Contact: all parents will be given the name of their Class Rep but
any other queries can go to firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers in School
We welcome the invaluable support of our volunteer helpers or people with expertise in school who assist with, for example:
- classroom activities e.g. craft, artwork
- school outings
- paired reading
- making costumes for concerts
- extra-curricular activities
- sports activities
- the library
If you would like to offer help in any way, please contact the school office. We would like to assure parents that helpers who volunteer to work in school on a regular basis have Scottish Borders Council Disclosures.